Goal is important. Goal is like the destination on your journey. We need the destination so that we can look into the map. See where we want to go. Look at the direction we need to go. Estimate our time spent until we reach that destination. Check the compass to see where we should really head and start walking until we are there. The steps are not much different from what we normally do in everyday life. We need to know the destination before we get into our car and drive.
The chance that we bump into what we want is less than none. We will not get what we want if we do not have clear and precise goal. Here are the five qualities of the goal to be considered before the goal setting process. These qualities are mentioned long time ago in the management classes in the MBA-hit era. This is called S.M.A.R.T goal setting process. S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym for the real qualities we need have in our goals. The S.M.A.R.T. goals are:
1. Specific: We need to set the goal that is specific and clear. Our goals have to be specific enough that we really know where the direction we need to go.
2. Measurable: The goal has to be able to be measured.
3. Achievable: The goal that is not achievable does not lead the person to their motivated state. A lot of people set up a goal and think that the higher the goal is, the more they achieve. This is not true if the goals are not achievable. Your brain will immediately reject the goal once it appears since you will not believe that you can make it through.
4. Realistic: We need to be honest to ourselves on goal setting. Wanting double or triple income while you want to spend most of your time playing golf may not be realistic. If the goal is not realistic, the brain will immediately reject it again. Make sure that your goal is reasonable to yourself and your action.
5. Time bound: Time is the only resource that everybody has equally. This valuable resource will signify your success or failure. The plan that has no time frame will not be achieved since people tend to procrastinate. If you do not have your deadline, the chance that you postpone your activity until further time is very high. Once the time is bound, you know that you will need to commit on your activities. You will not overlook your action since you know that the time matters on your goal achievement.
Goal setting is a valuable process for your success. We need to understand the nature of good goal so that we can effectively draw up our goal. The five qualities of the goal here will create your understand on the importance on the clarity of your goal and speed up your success process.